The Friends of Dr Williams’s Library was established in November 1946, Dr W. R. Matthews, the Dean of St. Paul’s, was elected the first President. Their stated intention was to ‘develop and make more widely known the very considerable research facilities of the Library’. To that end, the Friends instituted a series of annual Lectures to promote interest in, and support for, the Library’s collections. Since then Friends have done much to help the Library, in particular, their fundraising activities have provided funds towards the cost the cataloguing the extensive Roman and Byzantine collection left to the Library by the late Professor Norman Baynes; assistance towards the purchase of reprographic equipment as well as grants for the purchase of books and manuscripts.
Membership of the Friends
New members of the Friends are welcome and may join by completing an application form (see below). Each member is invited to the Annual General Meeting, Tea and Lecture and also receives a free copy of the published Annual Lecture.
The Friends are also invited to a special event which will include a talk, illustrated with slides and a small exhibition centred around conservation work which has been supported by the 'adopt scheme'.
The membership subscription is a minimum of £30 p.a. Many Friends generously give more and also complete a gift aid form if appropriate.
Please address Friends membership enquiries to:
Friends of Dr Williams’s Library,
14 Gordon Square,
London WC1H 0AR.